Saturday, February 3, 2007

Malplaquet~A Vignette











I was inspired to do this vignette after studying illustrations, by several artist, of the Prussian Regiment Alt-Dohna, who were under the command of John Churchill, Earl of Malborough. I chose the Alt-Dohna regiment, because it was the only regiment were I could find illustrations for an officer, grenadier and musketeer.

The illustrations used by Bob Marrion and Angus McBride were loosely based on R. Knotel's studies. With that, each artist interpretation varied in some ways, particularly with the grenadier. For example, the design of the grenadiers mitre cap is different in each illustration. The sword and bayonet belt design is different. But all show the coat worn over the belt. Despite this little nuance, I believe this is a good description of the Alt-Dohna at Malplaquet.

The materials used to build: The armature was made from paperclip and Aves putty torso. Body was built up with Aves and the clothing and some gear is an Aves and Kneadatite mix.

3 comments:

Gary Dombrowski said...

Jason, That is really FINE work. I especially like the period look the figures have. Is the officer going to be carrying a polearm of some sort?~Gary

Jason said...

Gary,

Thanks! Yes, the officer will be carrying a spontoon. Still a WIP.

Jason

WendyRaf said...

Hey Jason,
Sorry about not commenting earlier. Google wouldn't let me log in and I had to figure out what the problem was. Anyway, the vignette looks nice. Nice action to figures.

I tried to send you a PM at planetfigure, but it said your account didn't allow PM's. I have a couple questions about MCFA...

Big ol' pile of heads and armatures for the St. Privat project.