Saturday, September 27, 2008

'Storm Child'

This is a piece that I worked on during summer. It's from Classicae and sculpted by the late Roy Hunt.

The subject is of a Japanese girl the day after the bomb fell on Hiroshima.

Well, I can't say I really enjoyed painting it. Needless to say it can be an emotional and thought provoking subject. But, I tried my best and I hope I did the piece justice.

Painting was pretty straight forward. The ground work was a free-for-all of washes and light dry brushing. All shades of greys and browns were used with touches of metal dry brushed here and there.

I chose a red shirt with flower pattern to help make the scene 'pop' and add a little contrast to the devastation surrounding her.

As for the kit itself, the figure was horribly casted. Quality control was certainly at a loss here. Many pits and voids were present. Luckily these were dominant on the figures back, but much putty and sanding time was used when needn't be. If I ever buy a Classicae kit, I will insist opening the box and inspecting first.

Still, I recommend the piece for only it's subject matter and wonderful sculpting by one of the Greats in the hobby who went too soon. Your work will be missed, Mr Hunt.

Thanks for looking.








3 comments:

Gary Dombrowski said...

Jason, Great job.I really think Roy would have loved your version of one of his most memorable pieces. ~Gary

WendyRaf said...

You definitely did this piece justice Jason. I agree with Gary that Roy would have loved your version.

Too bad the casting was so bad. Sounds like a bit of a pain. Sounds like Classicae has ceased operations. I guess poor casting could have something to do with that.

I wondered how they did the spokes of the umbrella. I guess now I'll get to see. :)

Jason said...

Thanks Gary and Wendy!

Wendy, it was a bear to clean. Actually, the umbrella and tri-cycle were the cleanest cast and easiest to put together.

Big ol' pile of heads and armatures for the St. Privat project.