Sunday, April 26, 2020

Day 9 of the self-imposed art, model and crafting challenge.

While cleaning and organizing my workspace, I took a peak inside this case of oil paints, perhaps to find motivation and inspiration. It worked. I had this small 8×10 canvas prepared several years ago, just waiting for a day like this. Roughly 3-4 hours later this is the end result. The subject is from a figure I sculpted many years ago. I basically, cropped an image I had of him and transferred to canvas.  I'm happy with it. I originally wanted a gestural painting with heavy, broad strokes, but alas, I'm a tinkerer. I play too much. Besides, I think this canvas is too small to play like that, at least it is for me. I'll settle for a alla prima. I may start on another subject while I have the paints out.





2 comments:

Gary Dombrowski said...

Great portrait there. I love how the subject is one of the best figures you've done. Did you look at any period portraits for inspiration?

Jason said...

Thanks. Oh yeah, that was the fun part. I may go back and do some touch ups. You get a whole new perspective after a few days.

Big ol' pile of heads and armatures for the St. Privat project.