Saturday, August 1, 2020

Big ol' pile of heads and armatures for the St. Privat project.

Monday, July 20, 2020

New Project- Structure Layout

This is the rough layout of the St. Privat Cemetery/Courtyard. A structure diorama builder I am not. I'm going to try and keep it as simple as possible. Not all elements and details in Neuville's painting will be shown in this diorama. Some figures will have to be omitted and composition tweaked here and there. I will do my best rendering to keep it Neuville-esq however.

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Some more honorable mentions from my self imposed art challenge.

I prepared a canvas to do a copy of Thomas Gainsborough's Officer of the 4th Regiment of Foot. Who knows when I'll get to it but it's ready to go when the time is right. Also, finished a commission piece of British Marines at "Bunker Hill". I like how it turned out, the facial expressions from the Hornet heads really make figures and the scene work.

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Some honorable mentions from my self-imposed "art" challenge Part 1

This kit felt more like putting together a toy rather than actual building. The only real modeling I did was spray paint the body and add the decals. Not really a "challenge" but fun to do. It's my son's dream car, so even more satisfying to build. 

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Self-imposed art, model and crafting challenge wrap-up.

I've been quiet with the blog the past couple days, but stayed busy at the workbench. Priming miniatures, more game terrain and managed to have an actual game (I might do a battle report later). There were a few more projects I didn't post, but will add to the challenge record later on.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 12 of the self-imposed art, model and crafting challenge.

All kinds of work going on. Besides basecoating a ton of 1/72 ACW's, I've been plugging away at more wargame scatter terrain. Some river/stream and road sections. Those are made of plastic "FOR SALE" signs with acrylic caulking for the banks. The stream is painted a dark brown color with Liquitex gloss medium for the water. A modular section for  Islandlwana  mountain. Even on top of an existing hill, its way out of scale. Experimented with Fall type trees. Still not sure about those, maybe mixed with bare trees it will work or have several in a group?

Breaking out books for reference and inspiration for various subjects. Lots of time on my hands makes a mess of the "library". Having blast doing it all.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Day 11 if the self-imposed art, model and crafting challenge.

Gave this guy a faux bronze paint job. I used Vallejo acylics. I like how it turned out. The touches of green in the recesses gives it that tarnished look.

Monday, April 27, 2020

Day 10 of the self-imposed art, model and crafting challenge.

A little bit of everything of everything today. Making some river sections for the game table. More work on the Bunker Hill vignette and starting to paint Captain " Slim".

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Day 9 of the self-imposed art, model and crafting challenge.

While cleaning and organizing my workspace, I took a peak inside this case of oil paints, perhaps to find motivation and inspiration. It worked. I had this small 8×10 canvas prepared several years ago, just waiting for a day like this. Roughly 3-4 hours later this is the end result. The subject is from a figure I sculpted many years ago. I basically, cropped an image I had of him and transferred to canvas.  I'm happy with it. I originally wanted a gestural painting with heavy, broad strokes, but alas, I'm a tinkerer. I play too much. Besides, I think this canvas is too small to play like that, at least it is for me. I'll settle for a alla prima. I may start on another subject while I have the paints out.

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Day 8 of the self-imposed art, model , craft challenge.

Not a lot of progress today. Mostly cleaning and organizing my workspace, taking it easy. I dont want to burn out, I'm only half way through! The "plowed field" scatter terrain piece looks pretty good for the game table. The rocks I made some time ago. They're made of aluminum foil, crumpled up and lightly hammered into shape. Painted with grey mixed with Mod Podge. Hopefully, a little more active tomorrow.

Big ol' pile of heads and armatures for the St. Privat project.