Sunday, March 22, 2009

Butch and Sundance

I've begun work on a vignette depicting the two outlaws Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid by Andrea.

You can't appreciate the detail of the figures unless you have them in your hand. When I first opened the boxes, I told myself this would be easy. Oh, how wrong. The sculpting of the both figures are top notch. The folds and drapes are nice and clean. The revolvers are particularly nice. The likeness of both characters are exceptional, especially the Paul Newman figure. Which will be very intimidating to paint becasuse he was a handsome fella, easily recognizable and will be in the forefront of the scene.

The figure themselves fit nicely together with very little filling. Very little flashing and no pits.

The kit came with a base that was interlocking. I didn't like that because they where both pretty much shoulder to shoulder. If you see in the film the Butch character is in lead a step or two. So I chopped off a couple sections so they fit on the base and positioned them the way I wanted.

Even though these figures are very good sculptures, the scene would look rather boring without
some structure around them. Besides, their demise in reality was located in a town setting. So I chose a courtyard style arch. Somewhat like the one in the movie where you see the two running by before they are shot down.

The arch is made of balsa wood. I wanted a crumbling looking structure with exposed brick. To achieve this I added gaps with putty where the brick is seen then I filled in the area with plaster. The plaster was made runny to help the brush with stippling. When this was dry I went over it lightly with sand paper to give the look of crumbling stucco. The rear of the arch was simply textured with a rough stone.

Everything is primed and ready to go and my fingers are itching, so I hope to have pictures soon. Thanks for following.










2 comments:

Gary Dombrowski said...

Very cool pard. The arch looks great and will do a dandy job of framing the figures. I love the sculpting of Andrea's character figures. ~Gary

Jason said...

Thanks Gary. Yes, the Newman face is very detailed. You can tell the sculptor spent more time on him than the Redford figure. Hopefully I can do them both justice.

Big ol' pile of heads and armatures for the St. Privat project.